March 5, 2008

fading fast

Filed under: book stuff, on the road — petiteanglaise @ 7:56 am

Got to my hotel in London at 12.30 am last night, and am just about to throw on my clothes and head down to BBC Breakfast. If anyone is able to record my slot and pop it onto YouTube, I would be eternally grateful. (Thankfully I’m up near the end, just before 9 am. There had been talk of an earlier slot too, but the gods were smiling on me and some important news took precedent, earning me a couple of hours of extra lie-in).

If you have a radio on, there is a chance you might hear me today as I’m doing a ton of short, sharp local radio slots between 10am and 1pm. I doubt they could possibly rival my experience at BBC Radio York yesterday, where the previous guests had been a basketful of chuckling ferrets. (I kid you not.)

I’ll also be chatting to Victoria Derbyshire on Radio Five Live – somewhere in the region of 10.30-11.00 am. update: this is now happening today, Thursday 6 March.

Tune in (before I fade away).

1. Lord, Catherine, you look utterly stunning in red. Hell you look utterly stunning in anything–or nothing?? :-)

Cheers from
    A stunned, bemused Beau in Seattle

Comment by Beau — March 5, 2008 @ 8:36 am

2. Hi Just finished your book, it brought back so many memories. I am still with my Mr. Frog, having weathered the storms.Have never read a blog before, this is a new thing for me !!
    Hoorah pour toutes les petites anglaises !!!

Comment by Liz une petite anglaise des anees 60 — March 5, 2008 @ 8:50 am

3. Oooh, I get to this in my feeder just as you’re on telly. The presenters were asking their usual inane questions, but you came across well.

Comment by Rachel — March 5, 2008 @ 9:41 am

4. Ahhhh.

Poo.

If I’d read this BEFORE I started watching I would’ve recorded it, sorry. You were great, very articulate… I really must order your book (ohh look, a handy link there on the right.. ta!)

Comment by Gordon — March 5, 2008 @ 9:47 am

5. Saw you on BBC News this morning Good Luck with the book……….

Comment by Ash — March 5, 2008 @ 10:01 am

6. Hi Catherine,

Well done for this morning’s Breakfast appearance. As requested I have uploaded the video to YouTube (The wonders of having a lovely new Mac!). There is an issue over copyright, I’m not sure whether YouTube’s lawyers will allow a recording of the BBC by someone without authorisation (i.e. me!).

Anyway, I have the raw file which I would be happy to pass to you if you need it. It weighs in at about 300 mb currently.

Cheers,

Richard

Comment by Richard — March 5, 2008 @ 10:34 am

7. I just watched the BBC Breakfast show and saw your interview. It was excellent. I thought your comment on how your blog gives only a 2 min insight of your real life described very well what a personal blog is.

Well done! Looking forward to buying a copy of your book this weekend!

Comment by anita — March 5, 2008 @ 10:35 am

8. Have kept up (a little) with your movements and (since the blog) tedious ramblings over the years.

Now I see you on the b****y tele!

You are unique Catherine Sanderson and deserve every happiness.

Comment by Chris — March 5, 2008 @ 10:53 am

9. What is it about Yorkshire and ferrets? I remember the oft repeated news slot of Richard Whitely getting bitten by one on YTV. To us Lancashire lasses is all quite bewildering!

Comment by Cheria — March 5, 2008 @ 11:05 am

10. Morning,

I saw you on the BBC Breakfast Programme this morning and thought that you were great. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to record it as I didn’t even know about you, or your site before I saw you. I hope that all goes well and I’m sure I’ll be checking back every now and then.

Pete.

Comment by Pete — March 5, 2008 @ 11:21 am

11. Hi Catherine,

Scratch my previous post (In fact you probably already have!), here’s my updated YouTube post.

Well done for your capable appearance on BBC Breakfast this morning (If that’s the correct phrase?). Here is the link, if allowed, by those esteemed brethren at the hallowed BBC.

Hope you enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQv286OjGX4.

And I suppose to counter-blog – shamelessly I might add! Here’s my gorgeous son’s! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_8CwQmnfrE

Have fun !

Richard

Comment by Richard — March 5, 2008 @ 11:30 am

12. I have posted your BBC Breakfast interview on youtube. It is can be viewed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEpiblMJzhI

Comment by Andrew — March 5, 2008 @ 11:34 am

13. Saw you on Look North last night! Who would have thought when I first started reading your blog back in the begining that I would be watching you being interviewed by the God that is Harry Gration! Well done.

Comment by Di — March 5, 2008 @ 11:36 am

14. Good luck! Also, wanted to let you know that my review was picked up by the Paris Blog:

Comment by amy, la petite americaine — March 5, 2008 @ 11:39 am

15. OK, breaking the habit of (your blog’s) lifetime and commenting. Hurray! It was interesting and fun to meet you last night at the York book signing: I really enjoyed your readings. Started PA on the train back to Leeds and it’s hard to put down – so I’m not going to – sod the dissertation! (I don’t mean that!)
    Anna.

Comment by Anna — March 5, 2008 @ 11:41 am

16. Kia ora. I just thought I’d let you know that I’ve just received an email from amazon.fr telling me that your book is currently winging it’s way chez moi. All very exciting.

Comment by Greg — March 5, 2008 @ 12:03 pm

17. I only heard about your blog yesterday in the Guardian but went straight out and bought your book at lunchtime. Such a shame that you aren’t around in London longer for any books signings. I’m already hooked and you have reignited my desire to spend an extended period of time in France and push past my concerns about moving to a foreign speaking country. Thank you, I’m excited already.

Comment by H — March 5, 2008 @ 12:28 pm

18. Oh God. I’ve been listening to Five Live for an hour and a half and if you don’t appear soon, I’m going to hunt down these fucknuts who spend their time phoning in to radio debates and shouting, and I’m going to kill them all. With my bare hands.

I didn’t miss you, did I?

Comment by anna — March 5, 2008 @ 12:38 pm

19. I relly liked you voice you’have got a beautiful voice, have you ever trained your voice? So clear, and understandable, even after that you have lived in france so long.

Comment by pchenge — March 5, 2008 @ 1:03 pm

20. you are everywhere!! radio tv i see you everywhere I turn! this morning I was doing a lot of left over washing up in my kitchen when I suddenty heard another mention of petite anglaise, and there you appeared – nice glasses btw

Comment by est — March 5, 2008 @ 1:14 pm

21. Hi, It’s me again. I left my first ever comment this morning, before watching you on BBC morning.
    We live in England at the moment, but your book took me right back to our early days.. we lived in Versailles, in a garret flat, ( well, a room really) with no running water, (on landing outside), no electricity,( petrol lamps) with loo also on landing. We did have a stove, for which we had to lug the coal up 4 flights of stairs,( no lift !!) and we had our first child there . Not easy, but I remember walking in the Parc de Versailles with my son in his push chair, enjoying the spectacular “Fetes de Nuit ” craning out our window, shopping in the crowded market. Getting married in the beautiful ” Hotel de Ville” just up the road fom the chateau….I remember being a student in Paris ,Boulevard Raspail, feeling very grown up and adventurous, yes, you’ve brought back many memories…. maybe I should start a blog !!!!! Thank you again Catherine for stirring up these thoughts.

Comment by Liz (une petite anglaise des annees 60) — March 5, 2008 @ 1:22 pm

22. Tell us about your reading in York! How did it go? I think my mum was going, so I’ll look forward to hearing about it from her too.

Comment by old school friend — March 5, 2008 @ 1:34 pm

23. Wow, saw you on BBC Breakfast (sorry, unable to record), but I thought you had a really interesting story to tell and I must say that having read all your recent entries: I’m hooked!

Comment by Becky — March 5, 2008 @ 2:04 pm

24. Caught you on bbc breakfast hope you ran into damian lewis and not the ancient old jogger who was on before you (if you ‘ll pardon the pun !) . You came across really well .

Comment by Felicity — March 5, 2008 @ 2:54 pm

25. Petite – Just wanted to say that I have been reading your blog for a while now, and highly enjoyed your experiences while reading from Canada. I’ve now moved to Paris for work and got my hands on your book the other day. Prior to me buying your book, I had read the reviews on Amazon and thought they were quite harsh. I’m now halfway into your book and can say with certainty that they are idiots. Your book is fantastic. It takes a lot of courage to put your life on display and I’ve really enjoyed every last bit.

Your success must be a touch overwhelming but just fantastic to watch (from a voyeur perspective of course). Live it all.

Comment by Nancy — March 5, 2008 @ 3:13 pm

26. By pure chance I saw you on Breakfast TV. Congrats – you were great. Zinnia advised me to read your book and your blog, as I am in the process – two years on – of attempting to make Past Imperfect (the story not asides) into a possible book.
    I am so enjoying your book and admire your skill, honesty and courage.
    I am going to brighten up my days by catching up with what I have missed – your blog.

Comment by Pat — March 5, 2008 @ 5:24 pm

27. I’d just stepped out of the shower and someone was discussing her blog on BBC Breakfast. I knew it must be you. I’ve recently re-entered the blogosphere and mentioned that one of my motivations was the publicity surrounding Petite Anglaise. I have to confess that untill now I haven’t read any of it. Will make time this evening. BTW I was wondering whether “petite anglaise” (the name rather than the blog itself) is supposed to have nuances of “Little Englander”?

Comment by John — March 5, 2008 @ 6:49 pm

28. 15 mins. Looking forward to minute 16 when you start writing about your daughter again. I miss tadpole.

Comment by chris — March 5, 2008 @ 8:49 pm

29. I am having trouble finding the Victoria Derbyshire interview. Can anyone advise me on the actual time when this took place, please?

Comment by Pierre L — March 5, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

30. Thanks to Richard, I was able to see you on YouTube. Well done! It was great to hear you and see you.

Comment by Kat — March 5, 2008 @ 11:00 pm

31. Hello ,

Just wanted you to know , I finally pre-ordered the book here in the US-of-A ;-))

Take time to relax and breathe ;-)))

==Alaska

Comment by ==Alaska — March 6, 2008 @ 2:45 am

32. I’m not sure if this has already been posted, but here is Petite Anglaise on BBC Look North:

Comment by Hannah — March 6, 2008 @ 9:10 am

33. There is an interview in the Telegraph today, which I’m going to read over breakfast. Will be updating my press links tomorrow, when I’m safely back in Paris…

Thank you to those of you who popped things on YouTube for me, too kind.

Comment by petite — March 6, 2008 @ 9:24 am

34. Hi
    All over the papers and telly and now you’ve hit the Bath University news page as well!

Comment by Frances — March 6, 2008 @ 9:30 am

35. I finally received my pre-ordered copy from Amazon last week and although I haven’t much time on my hand I have been reading through every time I get a chance…And I just love it so far! You make wanna discover Paris and the right bank again and again :) Can’t wait to attend the WHSmith event !!!
    Bon courage for your PR work …

Comment by Lafadelle — March 6, 2008 @ 11:12 am

36. So, tell us, how did the book reading go?!

Comment by Hazy — March 6, 2008 @ 12:12 pm

37. Hi,
    Just heard your interview on 5 live you sounded so at ease.Very interesting listening to the other interviewie talking about bloggs to book deals, to films.I am a new convert to Petite Anglais, so have a great deal of catching up to do.Keep up the good work.Maybe one day you will do a book signing further South.
    Well done
    JC…..West Sussex

Comment by JOHN — March 6, 2008 @ 12:56 pm

38. Hello Mrs Sanderson ,

I am writing you from EL PAÍS, the most important newspaper in Spain and in South America. I would really like to interview you for the newspaper. Preferably by phone (25 minutes interview).

We need HIGH RESOLUTION PICTURES of you to publish them. It would be great if you could send them now.

Please contact me as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully,

EL PAÍS, EP3, EL PAÍS SEMANAL, EL VIAJERO

639 674 270
    915 28 78 93

C/ Miguel Yuste, 40.
    28037, Madrid
    91 337 78 60
    91 337 88 63

Comment by EL PAÍS — March 6, 2008 @ 3:08 pm

39. Though I am very happy for you and wish you much success, I hope you will soon return to writing about the everyday parts of your life. It’s your ability to take ordinary things and tell such a wonderful story that make you fun to read. For example, I would love to read about what happened on the train, or the plane, while you’re on your way to press events. I would love to hear about how you are FEELING about all of this. A recitation of appearance dates and where we can find your book and book reviews just isn’t doing it for me.

Comment by Small Town Diva — March 6, 2008 @ 4:11 pm

40. When does a blog stop being a blog and just become yet another marketing channel? I have long been a follower and admirer of Petite’s blog and appreciated its delicate and entertaining pensmithery.Sadly it appears that the blog has,at least for the time being,served its purpose and has morphed into yet another hard-sell channel and repository for sycophantic back slapping.
    I wish you and the book every success,it is thoroughly deserved.I shall pop back once the toxic fumes of fame have abated a little and the creative juices are flowing again.I hope the hangover is only temporary.

Comment by Herbie — March 6, 2008 @ 4:15 pm

41. Hi Katherine,

I know this is a bit left field, but I am going to Paris for a weekend soon. My first trip as an adult (37yrs) and my partner doesn’t know this yet but I want to shop! I would be more Richmond rather than Knightsbridge, Brent Cross (Fenwicks there anyway) rather than Oxford Street. I am looking for smart/casual stuff for very relaxed work, and just well made (at my age) casual stuff that is fab quality and a bit different, but not tooo pricey. Jigsaw kind of stuff? Can you recommend a place/centre/street/area to go to that I can have a lot of choice of quality stuff in one relatively small area (as he will want to do museums and galleries rather than clothes!).

Like I said I know it isn’t your specialism, but similar age to me so you’d know more than the guidebooks. Don’t know where we’re staying but can get a taxi to it, so doesn’t matter.

Thanks! Very best of luck with the book/ Haven’t got a copy yet, but definitely looking forward to reading it before I come.
    Cara

Comment by Cara — March 6, 2008 @ 6:36 pm

42. Petite: Great article in the Telegraph. It’s still odd to know who you are, or, rather, what you look like. :)

Comment by Kat — March 6, 2008 @ 7:33 pm

43. Managed to see both the interviews online thanks to the kindness of those above.

My God – I never thought myself the equivalent of an avid Archers fan… I must be getting old… or perhaps Petite’s double reference of it is a veiled suggestion that she might be radio serialised….?

Comment by Andrew — March 6, 2008 @ 10:19 pm

44. Saw your BBC interview on my wife’s computer – she had downloaded it from YouTube, so we could watch it together. You did fine there…

Greetings from Bavaria,
    Wolfgang

Comment by wjl (Wolfgang Lonien) — March 7, 2008 @ 12:32 am

45. hah – how funny! i did radio 5 live last night. i was on with a real loony, which had the advantage of making me sound the soul of reason.

Comment by rivergirlie — March 7, 2008 @ 1:24 am

46. Great to hear you in English and French on youtube.

Comment by jessica — March 7, 2008 @ 1:57 am

47. Herbie – it’s barely been a week of intense book promotion so it seems a bit of a stretch to say PA has become “yet another hard-sell channel and repository for sycophantic back slapping”? If one has a publishing contract one is contracted to promote the thing. What’s the odd bit of press plugging – still balanced with other blog entries – after giving us years of free entertainment?

Comment by cranky reader — March 7, 2008 @ 11:16 am

48. Completely agree with Cranky Reader, Herbie’s comments are just plain mean. I’m sure most readers are delighted to be able to follow all the media events related to the book release. All in good time, petite may well regale us with her account of this whirlwind of events, but for the moment, I’m sure she’s busy enough as it is!!

Comment by happyforyou — March 7, 2008 @ 11:50 am

49. First time posting here, but I’ve been looking in occasionally for a year or more. Just thought you’d like to know that there’s a link to the Telegraph profile, and thus the blog, on Guido Fawkes’ page. In case anyone doesn’t know, Guido has one of the best UK and most mischievous political blogs, with an immense readership. It was his work that ‘broke’ Peter Hain, for which we should all be grateful.

I hope it leads to many sales of the book, although the link describes you as “la petite anglais”!

Comment by Albert. M. Bankment — March 7, 2008 @ 12:18 pm

50. Hi Catherine
    Just heard you on the Tubridy show this morning.
    Never heard of you before but when I heard of the love affair with France my ears pricked up….sounded very familiar and thought afterwards ‘so thats what I shoud have done ..!
    I’ve had this dream of being a writer too but the only writing I seemed to do for so long was with people I could click with in chat rooms.
    And then I heard you mention Blogging.
    This is my first time to write into a Blog…..
    Maybe you may have opened my eyes to someting else.
    Who knows……
    Merci beaucoup ! and I’m off to buy your book !

Comment by Jason — March 7, 2008 @ 1:43 pm

51. Yeah, what Andrew said! I’ve never listened to the Archers in my life!

I think (especially online) when you read about someone’s life, you get a bit involved, so to speak. If they choose to divulge personal stuff, it seems to invite a degree of intimacy form the blogger, if you see what I mean?

I can see how it could happen, (even though I’m a new reader and more interested in the ex-pat/Paris element and in the way Petite makes it come alive through her writing) although I wasn’t a reader when all the real-life drama was unfolding daily.

I am interested though Petite; in a couple of your interviews you said (paraphrasing here) that people seemed to think they knew you and were viewing your life like a soap opera. Did you not expect that from what you wrote and how you wrote it?

Partly interested because I’m reading about authorship atm, (Roland Barthes etc) and this kind of struck a chord.

Comment by Jacqueline — March 7, 2008 @ 1:47 pm

52. I’ve just watched the BBC Breakfast on YouTube (thanks for recording it whoever it was) as well as a TF1 piece from last year. It was very entertaining to watch you talk in your mother tongue and in French. Like many of us (bilingual people) your personality comes across very differently in the 2 different languages and environments.

Comment by Froguette — March 13, 2008 @ 1:18 am