February 29, 2008

l'oeil du cyclone

Filed under: book stuff, good time girl — petiteanglaise @ 8:11 am

This week has been oh so quiet.

I mean, yes, there were hundreds of emails flying back and forth, and I did have a couple of magazine pieces to finish off, but the fact that my book seems to be in many UK bookshops now (what do release dates actually mean and does anyone pay attention to them?) left me strangely unmoved.

I think it’s worth mentioning here (at the risk of attracting criticism that I am all about the hard sell) that although I don’t endorse any particular bookshop over another, Amazon do have “petite” as a deal of the week this week, meaning that it has a whopping 55% off. If you were planning to buy it, this seems like a good time to snap it up.

I also wanted to give you a heads up about some of the places you may be able to catch me next week, when I embark on a four day whirlwind book pimping trip in London, Leeds and York.

• You Magazine, in this Sunday’s Mail – an interview and book extract.
  • This Sunday’s Observer (travel section) and online there should be some sort of associated web content. You’ll see…
  • Monday morning, Woman’s Hour on BBC Radio 4.
  • If I don’t miss my train (schedule is horrendously tight) I’ll also be on BBC Radio Leeds around 3.30pm and then interviewed on BBC Look North news programme around 6.30pm. (I’m from York, in case you are wondering about the choice of towns. There is a logic to this…)

There’s much more in the pipeline, and I’ll try and update the blog and press page as much as possible while I’m sitting on trains next Monday and Tuesday. For the TV bits, if you are in possession of the kind of technology that enables you to record snippets of TV and post them to YouTube, it might be fun to share some of the upcoming TV appearances (more info to follow) with my non Yorkshire/UK public.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to make a final DESPERATE PLEA to anyone reading this who lives within striking distance of York Library. I’m doing a small, low-key reading/book signing on Tuesday evening (info here) and this is a ticketed event. So far it looks as though I’ll be reading to a small group comprising mostly family members and fielding questions from my grandma. Help!

Today I will be mostly taking deliveries of (indecent amounts of) champagne, ice (60 kilos thereof, destined for the bathtub), and assisting my caterer, the lovely Meg, with the assembly of some very complicated-looking canapés.

Because I had to celebrate this book coming out thing just a little bit, didn’t I? So I’m throwing a little party.

update: My very first review! Ooh!

NB:  The Paris signing on 20 March is not a ticketed event but, in order to give WH Smiths an idea of numbers for room layout and enable them to stock up on sensible amounts of wine, it is recommended you sign up here.

1. I was waiting for a Bristol book signing but since you aren’t doing one of them I will just have to go and buy it!

Comment by Daniel — February 29, 2008 @ 8:54 am

2. Although you have a bit of a whirlwind tour in front of you, it sounds like you’re going to have heaps of fun doing it! Now I just wish I had the motivation to actually sit down and finish my book! Just make sure you keep us all updated. I know I’m not the only one that loves hearing your tales! : )

Comment by kangaroo-with-a-suitcase — February 29, 2008 @ 9:09 am

3. I go to York and Paris regularly so I’m really annoyed that I won’t be in either around the dates of your book signings… Maybe you’ll be in Oxford or London soon?
    Half-way through the book and I wished I wasn’t so tired last night – I would have loved to finish it. Probably today!

Comment by Lotus Flower — February 29, 2008 @ 9:12 am

4. Look forward to seeing you on YouTube. Good luck for the week ahead, sounds like fun!

Comment by Jeremy — February 29, 2008 @ 10:21 am

5. D’oh! I’m off to York today for a romantic anniversary break (read: train museum, air museum) but will miss your reading by one day! All the best to you, hope it goes well! It’s amazing how easily the words roll off the tongue after the 20th local radio interview :)

Comment by shauna — February 29, 2008 @ 10:35 am

6. Good luck with the press tour. And ignore the hard sell criticism. It’s your book, you have every right to promote it!

Comment by A Seattleite in Paris — February 29, 2008 @ 10:51 am

7. Don’t worry about a couple of negative comments on Amazon. They’ll soon be drowned out by the raves. And most writers would kill for your current Amazon bestseller rating, including me.
    Congratulations all round from Susie Vereker, former Parisienne and anglaise plus plus.
    Books – “Pond Lane and Paris”
    “An Old-Fashioned Arrangement”

Comment by Susie Vereker — February 29, 2008 @ 10:53 am

8. Ooooh, half-way through the book. Am I enjoying it so much because I’ve followed the blog? Or despite this? Or is it because I’m with you every step of the way, walking across “my” park, running down the Avenue Laumière, looking at the Eiffel Tower from the top of Belleville….

Comment by Flighty — February 29, 2008 @ 10:57 am

9. I can’t get to York but I will be listening to Radio 4 on Monday morning. :)

Comment by Jacqueline — February 29, 2008 @ 11:03 am

10. I know you’ll be caught up in a whirlwind of activity over the next week, but I couldn’t help noticing that in your “press clippings” section, you have filed an Irish Independent article under the United Kingdom heading and also the more recent The Gloss article under the UK too.
    Couldn’t you insert a little Ireland category or at least file them under “Other Locations” or something?
    Even Belgium got a mention along with Holland!! :)

Enjoy the party!!

Comment by happyforyou — February 29, 2008 @ 11:05 am

11. Have a great party!

Comment by susie — February 29, 2008 @ 11:09 am

12. Eee, bah, gum, lass. Remember there’s a saying something along the lines of a prophet being unhonoured in his (or her) own land.

Amuse-toi bien, quand meme!

Comment by Sandlander — February 29, 2008 @ 11:21 am

13. 60kg – that’s a lot of ice. Make sure you leaving room for the booze!

Good luck with the whirlwind, and the canapes.

And may your trains be as on-time as you are.

Comment by Damian — February 29, 2008 @ 11:50 am

14. Hey Petite, as a fellow Yorkaise I wonder if I should despatch my stepfather, he lives about 2 minutes walk from York library and is rarely out of the place, but would probably be a little bemused by the subject matter! If you see a dishevelled man in cycle clips and a cagoule carrying some weighty tome in Russian, that will be him. Actually now I come to think of it that description covers about 60% of York library users, doesn’t it? Is it giving you nostalgic flashbacks to your youth? I am having a Proustian moment as I sit here typing in sunny Brussels thinking about the inimitable dusty smell of the childrens corner…

Comment by Jaywalker — February 29, 2008 @ 11:50 am

15. Finished your book yesterday … couldn’t put it down actually! Really enjoyed it. Are you going to write a “petite 2”? (Given all the stuff that has happened to you since where the book finishes?)

Comment by Stratford Girl — February 29, 2008 @ 11:54 am

16. Please forgive me for the Ireland/UK thing, you are right, I have no time and I’m not anywhere near my own computer today, hence the sideways on pdf!!

Comment by petite — February 29, 2008 @ 1:46 pm

17. I am 9/10 of the way through your book and have very much enjoyed piecing together the story behind your blog. In fact, what I have enjoyed so much is that although Petite Anglais is a running theme throughout, you mention only in passing a lot of the actual subjects of your posts. There is nothing more frustrating than paying for a book based on a blog to find that it is merely blog posts re-hashed with extra filler in between. As soon as I have finished it I will post a review on my blog.

Comment by Rachel — February 29, 2008 @ 1:46 pm

18. If I could come and see you, I would love to but being all the way down here in Australia doesn’t make it easy! Good Luck!

Comment by kangaroo-with-a-suitcase — February 29, 2008 @ 3:05 pm

19. And remember, smile. :-)

I was going to write ‘remember, tits and teeth’ but that modus operandi may not go down too well with your grandma!

Have a fantastic week, and report back soon.

Comment by Steve... — February 29, 2008 @ 4:40 pm

20. I’ve just ‘snapped up’ my copy from Amazon. How long will it take to come to the west coast of Canada, I wonder?

Enjoy the party!

Comment by Peg — February 29, 2008 @ 4:49 pm

21. So, will you come to the states when it premieres here?

Comment by Dave of the Lake — February 29, 2008 @ 4:59 pm

22. I read some of the book extract that I was able to find, and there are sooooo much emotion in it, I do not know how I’ll be able to take it.

Good luck anyhow.

Comment by pchenge — February 29, 2008 @ 5:07 pm

23. This is all so exciting, I am so glad you are having a party! I worry a little that you are freaking yourself out too much and not taking the time to really enjoy the ride. You are a Really Big Deal and should act like it even just a little.

Comment by Jules — February 29, 2008 @ 5:30 pm

24. So now the cryptic facebook status about ice makes sense…

Comment by Louisa — February 29, 2008 @ 5:32 pm

25. Just to tell about another “clipping” on an expat website: http://www.blogexpat.com (top news from today).

Comment by Vonric — February 29, 2008 @ 5:36 pm

26. Petite, have just started reading your book which arrived from “Play.com” this morning. Am enjoying it! Lots of luck with your book tour – this must be all so exciting for you and your famille. Don’t stop blogging. Regards.

Comment by Jane S — February 29, 2008 @ 6:28 pm

27. NB. Who do you want to play “you” when the film comes out?? Julia Roberts has the wrong coloured hair (and is now too old I guess)!!

Comment by Jane S — February 29, 2008 @ 6:30 pm

28. I am sitting at my desk here in Durango, Colorado (look it up–it’s nowhere), with my very own Petite sitting in its Amazon UK wrapping. Delivered before noon on the 29th of February! How’s that for service?
    Plus, Amazon issued me the discount this morning, even though I pre-ordered the book a month ago.
    So, for those of you on this (US) side of the pond, I would highly recommend Amazon UK for Petite–it definitely beats waiting till June!

Comment by Aly — February 29, 2008 @ 7:27 pm

29. I just couldn’t resist your hard sell, so I ordered the book. I got the UK version, not the US version so I’ll have to wait for shipping. Can’t wait to read it.

Good luck with your mini tour.

Comment by Mad William — February 29, 2008 @ 9:58 pm

30. Good for you Petite. It is nice to be busy like that!Good reviews!Keep going and good luck the game is on…

Comment by penelope — February 29, 2008 @ 11:22 pm

31. Have fun in yorkshire could be a bit parky i remember snow in june growing up in ilkley ! Will you have time for a cup of tea and a fat rascal in bettys ? Wonder if harry gration still presents look north ?

Comment by felicity — March 1, 2008 @ 12:24 am

32. Good luck, Petite! The extracts that came from the Times looked good, so I hope it won’t get too stressful for you..

Comment by Drusilla — March 1, 2008 @ 7:12 am

33. Best of luck with the book, petite. You’ve come a long way since those old Blogspot days, and following your progress has been a bumpy old ride – but talk about happy endings/new beginnings, eh? Have a great party, and I look forward to picking up a copy of The Book in my local Waterstones next week. X

Comment by mike — March 1, 2008 @ 11:32 am

34. Well you couldn’t have got a much better review if you’d written it yourself. Hope they’re all as good.
    Good luck!

Comment by BundyGil — March 2, 2008 @ 5:13 am

35. I ordered your book today. It’s been on my wishlist with Amazon for some time and I was kind of hoping the kids would get the message for Mothers’ Day – but they didn’t.

Comment by sablonneuse — March 2, 2008 @ 3:36 pm

36. Ah bad luck Felicity – as a fellow look north-er I can tell you that Harry Gration is no longer (he’s off doing sport or something!!!), it’s not the same really!!!

Comment by Louisa — March 2, 2008 @ 10:58 pm

37. What? My agenda says Harry Gration and Krista Ackroyd?

Comment by petite — March 2, 2008 @ 11:09 pm

38. Maybe he’s back?! Last time I was home I heard him on the radio commentating on rugby – he might have seen sense and returned though!!!

You’ll have to keep me posted – the guy is a legend!!!

Comment by Louisa — March 3, 2008 @ 2:21 pm