November 21, 2006

blushes

Filed under: good time girl, navel gazing — petiteanglaise @ 12:47 am

“So, what do you do in Paris?” says the friend of a friend I’ve just been introduced to.

“Oh, I’ve been here for eleven years now, and I was a secretary for most of that time,” I say. “And now, I’m, um, writing this memoir…” I let my voice trail off in a way that will make it sound like I’ve just said the most boring thing in the world, hoping to nip any further questions in the bud.

“You’re slowly getting better at this, see?” whispers my girlfriend, with a wink.

“Well, maybe, but I’m still blushing, you just can’t see it in this light,” I reply doubtfully.

I live in constant dread of having to tell people just what it is that I do for a living.

Since April, the question has been one king-sized can of worms. (Can one buy cans of worms? Aren’t they maggots? For fishing?) Because “I’m between jobs right now” or “I got fired” usually snowballs into more questions, and yet more, until the whole grisly truth comes out. It’s long, it’s involved, and I end up feeling oddly like I’m being interviewed rather than actually making conversation.

Ever since contracts were exchanged and it all became terrifyingly official, I have no longer been able to truthfully play the chômeur card, and so now I have to admit, bashfully, that I am writing to earn my bread and butter. “Admit” probably isn’t the right word, but the only other phrase which springs to mind right now is “own up to”, which isn’t much of an improvement, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Of course if I mention writing, the questions come even thicker and faster. And although I’m going to be a writer, one day, when I’m published, I don’t feel like I own that title yet. So I play it coy, hide behind my hair a lot (at least until that fifth drink, when my alter ego takes over and I probably say something along the lines of “I’m a little bit famous, can I grope your bottom?”) and attempt to keep everything as vague as I can.

Because book leads inevitably to blog. And my name is now connected to this blog in every conceivable search engine. Nasty pictures taken by photographers in the pay of tabloids who were clearly given the brief that they should attempt to look down my top, or up my skirt, are on display. Anonymity, however relative and fragile a concept that was, is no longer an option. And that is not always a good thing.

Twice recently I received worried emails the day after meeting someone new, the senders fretting about whether they were about to find themselves the subject of a forthcoming blog post (they won’t, I don’t cross those boundaries without permission of sorts). And those are the ones who knew what a blog was before we met. Those people who don’t know must undoubtedly think I am some sort of narcissistic self-centred weirdo when they hear that I share slices of my personal life with the internet at large.

And yes, those people were boys. And yes, what I’m really concerned about here, is whether it will hamper my chances of success on the dating market, my chances of finding someone a bit special once I’ve got my current teenage phase well and truly out of my system. Because you’ve got to admit that things are a little unequal, not to say unbalanced, if menfolk that I meet are able to read about my whole life on the internet before our second date, a state of affairs that leaves me feeling at something of a disadvantage.

So, it will have to be a blogger. Apparently there are currently three million blogs in France, so hopefully at least a handful are not written by teenagers and girls.

I’ll keep you, ahem, posted.

1. It’s true: Foresight does not always work in our favor.

Comment by Meg — November 21, 2006 @ 1:18 am

2. Don’t date a blogger!!

‘Narcissistic self-centred weirdos’ the lot of them.

Comment by andre — November 21, 2006 @ 1:30 am

3. Hi Petite

Just take a deep breath, brazen it out and say:

“Actually, I blog for a living. I’m really quite a famous blogger. But then I expect you know that already. I’m amazed at how famous I have become so quickly. Do YOU like my blog?

Sally

Comment by Sally Lomax — November 21, 2006 @ 2:03 am

4. I love the phrase “I’m a little bit famous, can I grope your bottom?”. Not that I don’t sympathise, honestly, because any complicated job can sometimes be an arse to explain and yours must be worse than most, but come on. GREAT pick up line.

Comment by The B — November 21, 2006 @ 2:10 am

5. Yaxlich thinks that petite should tell people she does a bit of freelance journalism for dull magazines the other person will never have heard of. The fun in this is that she can make up weird and wacky magazine names off the top of her head.

Boy about to have bottom groped: So what do you do?
    Petite: Oh I’m a freelance journalist
    BATHBG: Really? Will I have read anything you’ve written?
    Petite: Only if you’re a subscriber to “Lancing Boils Monthly”
    BATHBG: Ermm..can’t say I am
    Petite: Riiight. (pause) Can I grope your bum?

Comment by Yaxlich — November 21, 2006 @ 3:23 am

6. You are pretty much a “writer” to me than the ones published in book print, and a damn good one at that. So,although rather bashfully, say you ARE a writer.

Comment by shaz — November 21, 2006 @ 3:39 am

7. The trials and tribulations of becoming potential blog fodder. Granted it’s a bit intimidating as a nebulous concept because you could potentially out some gent’s prediliction to some weirdness or another quite effectively to a broad audience.

The truth is that for all your worry about an unbalance in the exposure department, it would be a shallow man to think a blog is the complete story. It is really just a single facet of the sum and total that composes your life. I find it compelling enough to delve further into knowing the person beyond the words. All in all Petite, it is a pity we are continents away from being in the same city as I, for one, would not count becoming blog fodder an undue risk. I am sure there are many others of the same mind as I.

Comment by M — November 21, 2006 @ 3:42 am

8. I wouldn’t worry about the impact your blogging and writing have on a future partner. My partner is a writer and a blogger. She was also a single mom like you when we started dating. I have been a feature of several of her writing ventures, not normally in a flattering light. I don’t mind, it only makes life more interesting. I have adjusted by maintaining my own blog to present my side of the story :-)

Comment by Ravi — November 21, 2006 @ 4:58 am

9. Hi there,

I’ve only recently discovered your Blog but I’d like to offer my congratulations !
    In essence, I think it is an excellent read. I’m addicted ! It is perfectly well written without being too heavy, yet it is emotional, sensitive, and funny. I’m also very pleased to read that it will be turned into a book shortly. I for one will be a buyer.

Good luck with your life in Paris with Tadpole and don’t worry about the dating issue… You are VERY attractive and it won’t take long for you to find that special man of your dreams.

An avid fan.

Our_man_in_dubai (Popbitch poster)

Comment by Ourmanindubai — November 21, 2006 @ 7:59 am

10. I guess there are a lot of reasons for not wanting to be famous and this may be one of them. However, I have enough problems dating in the states as a single mother; I really don’t want another.
    Good luck with that!

Comment by chantel — November 21, 2006 @ 8:15 am

11. Hi Petite,

That’s a nice bit of writing, as are all of your’s on here – so, like it or not, you are a writer.

And you have a ‘contract’ to prove it.

Good luck in the ‘dating market’.

Martin

Comment by Martin — November 21, 2006 @ 9:04 am

12. I find the best answer to the question of what I do is “nothing”. Puts the questioner on the back foot every time as it provokes the “..oh, surely you must….” and one can respond in a casual manner “Oh, well, of course, there’s my writing and my other responsibilities…” with a wave of the hand and a graceful refusal to go into any further details.

Comment by Gill — November 21, 2006 @ 10:09 am

13. Hm I find this problem too, though not as famous. But it’s weird to find out what you can and can’t blog about. I was stupid enough to blog about someone only to include all the search terms for them to find it naturally.

It’s difficult, knowing what to blog, but as blogs become bigger it will become more normal to say what you do. Until then you’ll have to cope with the exchanging of glances like the rest of us!

BG

Comment by Billygean — November 21, 2006 @ 10:31 am

14. I know it only too well: the questions and squints and cocked heads, the eyebrow raised in disbelief, and the slightest shade of awe in their voice when they repeat “a wri-ter?” (or sometimes if I tell them I’m a grad student: “a ph-D?”)

you just gotta own it.

Comment by maitresse — November 21, 2006 @ 10:34 am

15. You are a writer,not because of the contract, but because you keep us entertained when you capture the moment perfectly every other day.

On the bottom front, we all have to kiss a few ugly frogs before we meet our handsome prince. C’est la vie!

Happy bottom hunting!

Lisa

Comment by Lisa — November 21, 2006 @ 10:58 am

16. hehehe – if one of the perks of being famous is being allowed to grope people’s bottoms, then I wanna be famous too!

Comment by chris — November 21, 2006 @ 11:17 am

17. I think being a little bit famous is something you’ll eventually get used to. As for potential partners, maybe now they’ll be divided more into blog (and book) appreciators and non – at least compared to what they were before(?).

Comment by BlondebutBright — November 21, 2006 @ 11:24 am

18. You can indeed buy cans of worms – try Oxfam Unwrapped or Christian Aid for these, and other, amazing gift ideas with a difference. Alpaca, goats, packets of seeds, buckets – something for any budget!

And I agree. You are a writer. And a very good one at that.

Comment by Deirdre — November 21, 2006 @ 11:33 am

19. Don’t feel in the least bit shy about saying you are a writer. You write for a living and if anyone has a problem with that it’s their fault not yours.
    As for causing difficulties on the dating front – that’s a possibility – but Mr. Right, when he comes along, will love you for who you are now, not for your past.
    You have every right to hold your head high and have confidence in yourself!

Comment by Sablonneuse — November 21, 2006 @ 12:09 pm

20. You could try a workaround, saying, “I’m doing research..”
    It’s tough instantly becoming the object of any new conversation. There’s something to be said for anonymity. Sometimes blogreaders come into the shop where I work part-time (and foolishly wrote about..), usually end of day when I’m covered in pigment and feeling cranky. Then they accuse me, you didn’t publish today! :( Ah the good ole days..but it’s nothing like yr situation! This is where “grace under pressure” comes in handy, but where’s the book on that subject?

Comment by ParisBreakfasts — November 21, 2006 @ 12:54 pm

21. You are right parisbreakfast.

Petite… its about how you feel.. (deep inside)…

Comment by simon — November 21, 2006 @ 1:14 pm

22. “I have a book contract” sounds good to me. Of course, the next question is “what’s the book about? Don’t think I’ve commented since you got famous – lots of love and best wishes.

Comment by Jean — November 21, 2006 @ 1:23 pm

23. You could always say that you do something with computers – that’s enough to have almost anyone change the subject.

Comment by Damian — November 21, 2006 @ 1:32 pm

24. Hi, Ms. Petite,
    I think you should be quite proud of yourself, not embarrassed. You’re just a little unsure of yourself at the moment because you’ve never written a book before, but you obviously have talent. You weren’t challenged at all as that secretary and your bosses took advantage of you. Now you’re in a position to actually use your talent and do something creative. I think you should hold your head up high and announce to people proudly that you are writing a book.

I’ve been by here before, but not in a few months; sorry. I’m a blogger too, and a stranger in a strange land. I’m an American who has been living in Deutschland for the past 3 years or so. For thanksgiving weekend my husband and I will be visiting Paris, for the first time. It’s suppossed to rain, but oh, well. I’m looking forward to it.

I wish you well!
    ~Nicole

Comment by Nicole — November 21, 2006 @ 1:47 pm

25. I am surprised that no one has picked up your dreadful ‘posted’ pun. Perhaps they were being kind….
    Oh god I hope I’m not being unkind….

Comment by meredic — November 21, 2006 @ 2:19 pm

26. “So, what do you do for a living?”

“Well, I could make you famous.”

I guarantee you will get to squeeze more bums. In fact, I’m going to try that myself this coming weekend.

Comment by Mr Angry — November 21, 2006 @ 2:19 pm

27. You could always say you shave pregnant women’s pubic hair or you test make-up on live animals….

Comment by Alastair — November 21, 2006 @ 2:21 pm

28. *adjusts tie*

Comment by JonnyB — November 21, 2006 @ 3:30 pm

29. I speak from bitter experience when I confirm that Damian is dead right when he says:

“You could always say that you do something with computers – that’s enough to have almost anyone change the subject.”

Comment by anxious — November 21, 2006 @ 4:46 pm

30. Try this on for size: You ARE NOW a writer because you are currently engaged in the act of writing. What you WILL BE an AUTHOR when your book is published. So if you say you’re a writer, it’s a totally true statement. Nothing to blush over!

Off-topic: what the heck was going on this afternoon in the skies over the 6th/14th? I’m in Vincennes and have a view of the Tour Montparnasse from here and for about 30 minutes there were signal flares falling, two or three at a time, over that part of the city, or so it seemed to me from here. If anyone knows, email me at lthwriter(at)gmail.com. Haven’t seen anything on the news about celebrations or demonstrations in that part of the city so I’m at a loss.

Comment by The Bold Soul — November 21, 2006 @ 4:56 pm

31. I wouldn’t worry about your dating prospects. I saw a photo of you in the Torygraph and it looks like you have nothing to worry about :)

Comment by homeimprovementninja — November 21, 2006 @ 5:06 pm

32. You don’t ‘buy’ a can of worms. You take an old can and go looking for worms (either in a back yard or in a worm farm (oh yes) and then you take the can of squirming worms fishing. picture a soup can with a dozen 6 – 8 inch worms trying to get out

I like the freelance journalist answer – your blog is a journal, after all.

Comment by Alice — November 21, 2006 @ 5:08 pm

33. Petite,
    I’ve been reading your blog for several months and the quality of your texts and your capacity to susinctly describe a situation undoubtedly qualifies you as a “writer”. Besides, who ever said that a writer needed to publish a book?

Comment by rohan — November 21, 2006 @ 5:14 pm

34. You inspired me to Google you for the paparazzi shots.

Congratulations, professor: http://www.amherst.edu/commencement/2006/sr_assembly/audio.html

And who would have thought that your biography would come out before your memoir – though their research has been a bit wonky: http://www.bellaonline.com/ArticlesP/art30220.asp

Comment by Damian — November 21, 2006 @ 5:21 pm

35. Hi Petite,

But you know, better to just have the book contract, and the blog, and the notoriety, and let the dates deal with it, than to be hiding yourself… I had this for years, pretending to fit in at work, and in relationships – and nothing ever went right. Now I write poetry and poetry criticism, and a blog, and while I can’t say men aren’t a bit nonplussed by that, I can truthfully say they were always a bit nonplussed by me anyway and now at least they (& I!) know why…

And yes, the thing about them reading up on you before the second date! Argh! I’ve had emails from people I’ve been out with once, giving me critiques of my poems they’ve read on the web. Who’s nonplussed THEN!

All the best.

Comment by Ms Baroque — November 21, 2006 @ 5:22 pm

36. Good lord. I thought you were kidding, P.A., but it’s true. After two search engine hits, there is your name. :(

Anonymity is very fragile indeed. Moreso in our society as it continues its downward spiral to electronic, global oblivion.

Good luck with all that btw. We’re on your side. :)

Comment by Gimp — November 21, 2006 @ 5:40 pm

37. Call of the feather again (can’t stop). To be or not to be a writer? I became a seriously addicted reader with Navigo’s post, about a métro trip. Because you catch in reality the little precious things, slightly invisible, which weave and compose life, sometimes the “foam of days”, sometimes the “first beer’s sip”. I feel more attracted by this version of reality than, heu… blogbusters for example. Your diary is also a kind of purple pink “roman-feuilleton”, then, charm, freshness… Oh, and you’re a petite anglaise catherinette.

Are you obliged to “confess” you’re writing your memoirs? Couldn’t you just tell you’re writing your 1st book, and when the inevitable question arises answer it’s “a total mystery in progress”, that you can’t deflower the subject until it’s achieved. Then ask “another question”, before hiding yourself in a lager!

Comment by 4 roses — November 21, 2006 @ 6:28 pm

38. God I must have been tired last night! I read this post and then totally forgot to comment. Must have fallen asleep at the keyboard or something.

Telling people you are a student gets quite a few questions as well. When you add in that you are at the University of the West of England which is in Bristol but which isn’t Bristol University and you are doing Business and Law which isn’t Business with law or Law with Business but is in fact two completely seperate subjects and yes it is hard and no you don’t find it interesting but you chose it because you were to lazy to think of a subject you might actually enjoy and you are in your third year for business but second year of law because you failed some law modules so have to repeat them and yes that means you will be there for another year but no it doesn’t mean you are technically a second year *breathes* you end up withj quite a monologue going; especially if the only question asked by the other person was “hello”.

Confessing to being a blogger has been a complex consideration for me. On the one hand I’m desperate for more people to come and read my blog and maybe even leave a comment once in a while, but at the same time I don’t feel I can really say what I want to if I think that anyone I know might be reading it.

Perhaps you should tell people you are a freelance writer. If they ask where they might have seen your work you can just shrug then and tell them it is all over the place. Beats having to allude to the details of your online alterego.

God this is a long comment. i must make a point of only commenting after writing my own blog so I can get writing out of my system! Sorry.

Comment by Ignorminious — November 21, 2006 @ 6:51 pm

39. I’m in agreement with you are a writer already, and I particularly concur with Alice’s comment that you are a freelance journalist since your blog is a journal. It is published, afterall.

Comment by celebrate woo-woo — November 21, 2006 @ 6:58 pm

40. What would be your words for defining… “a blogger”?

Comment by mardo — November 21, 2006 @ 11:04 pm

41. My friend and I used to swap careers when we went out. I used to have enjpy having an excuse to inspect cute mens teeth and she used to enjoy telling stories about painting hospital walls and counting bottle tops.

Comment by Kingston Girl — November 21, 2006 @ 11:25 pm

42. Lie. You are a spy.

Comment by clarissa — November 22, 2006 @ 12:30 am

43. LIE! Tell them you work in an office. It may be your own “home office” (not the Home Office…) but an office all the same – which, I guess, isn’t a lie at all. :o)
    P.S. I hate having to poke you in the eye to submit a comment!

Comment by teeweewonders — November 22, 2006 @ 1:16 am

44. First of all, you have to own-up to being a writer, otherwise you never will be one.
    As far as your conquests and their concerns, it reminds me of a quote by Mordecai Richler:
    “If you caricature friends in your first novel they will be upset, but if you don’t they will feel betrayed.”

Comment by Isabella — November 22, 2006 @ 1:56 am

45. You don’t have to be published to call yourself a writer. You *are* a writer, and a very good one at that. Join some online writer’s forums and you’ll see that’s true. It is really an art form.

As for dating, you might have to snoop around a place like match.com to find someone who doesn’t know about you yet. Even the playing field a bit. I would imagine you’d have to be pretty careful of people who approach you and know all this stuff about you. Scary!

Keep at it, love the blog. Can’t wait for the book.

Comment by Becky — November 22, 2006 @ 7:05 am

46. Don’t worry Petite, I have the same smirking, raise-eyebrow look when I tell people I’m an accountant. I too lied, by changing my profession to something more exciting, like economist. It didn’t work.

If I set up a blog, will you have a drink with me? :)

Comment by David in London — November 22, 2006 @ 10:17 am

47. The fun part would be finding out all the things that you haven’t blogged about :)

Comment by Alan — November 22, 2006 @ 11:01 am

48. Please pinch me!
    I’ve written a mercifully whole story in “medicine”, with a beginning, a ending, suspens, plot, action, passion, emotions, heroes and villains…
    Does your blog count for it?
    Am I a published writter now?
    Do we necessarily have to cut trees?
    sigh..

Comment by 4 roses — November 22, 2006 @ 11:19 am

49. I don’t think future partners have too much to fear. You didn’t dish the dirt on Mr Frog or “Lover”, even when you might have been tempted to (in the latter case).

Then again, you could always do a J.K. Rowling: get together with someone from a completely different field, who has his own career, and who probably won’t even read your blog.

Comment by old school friend — November 22, 2006 @ 11:21 am

50. Just a word of warning, Petite.

Nice looking bottoms often turn out to be arses when you get too close.

Comment by Murphy — November 22, 2006 @ 1:05 pm

51. I wouldn’t worry so much about the French asking questions after saying that you are “between jobs” or “au chômage” — it is just too common here. However, the British are another story, entirely ;-)

Love that alter ego of yours!

Comment by Lost in France — November 22, 2006 @ 1:16 pm

52. “Just put on a red dress and tell them you’re a secretary,” said a work colleague of mine who found meeting men difficult as a biomedical engineer.

And Mardo, my words for defining “a blogger” are a person who, when their bathroom sink falls off the wall, makes things safe then rushes to write a blog post about it before undertaking any repairs. (You can find an example of this under the “Oh shit!” category on my blog.)

Comment by Damian — November 22, 2006 @ 1:23 pm

53. “What do you do?”

I ask people for money…though in the non prostitute sense.

Comment by Hannah Banana — November 22, 2006 @ 4:50 pm

54. Petite,

In a few months – Easter – I shall be marrying a person I met through my blog (Central Park, New York if you get a transatlantic book deal!).

Ironically she read my blog before any of my published work – go figure!

And my bottom is way better than hers.
    :-)

TT.

Comment by TryingTimes — November 22, 2006 @ 4:58 pm

55. In my area of upstate NY, you can indeed buy a “can” of (earth) worms – 24/7 from a vending machine, no less. They look like a large soda machine, but sell bait. I believe the “can” is actually a styrafoam container tho..

Comment by Steve — November 22, 2006 @ 6:54 pm

56. Crikey TT don’t let her see you saying things like that about her bottom or it will be the shortest marriage in history!

Comment by Damian — November 22, 2006 @ 7:27 pm

57. Who said she is a spy? I say she is a shepherd.

Oh dear. That would make her a “shepherd spie”… old joke…

Comment by Jonathan — November 22, 2006 @ 8:42 pm

58. I always end up reading your posts in the dead of night, after a gazillion other comments, and wonder if my comment will be noticed.

I’m not even replying to the post, am I…

The image of you with the supercharged confidence provided by a couple of bottles of wine is rather enticing. I’m not supposed to say that though, because I’m happily married. I do believe in complimenting people though, so there you go – accept the compliment :)

Comment by Jonathan — November 23, 2006 @ 1:44 am

59. I’m sure I’m terrifying, rather than enticing. Ask Meg, I think she was one of the unfortunate people I groped last time.

Comment by petite — November 23, 2006 @ 1:48 am

60. Petite, you might be (are) terrifying. So what…?

Damian, will read your “oh shit” stuff. Just to figure out.

Comment by mardo — November 23, 2006 @ 3:50 am

61. I have been reading your blog for about a year and at one stage I went back and read over the archived entries, and I didn’t read anything you should be ashamed about.

I know at the beginning of a new relationship it might makes things a little unbalanced, but it will work itself out and maybe having it all there early is a good thing, get it all out of the way at the beginning. I had an ex who had previously been married and had a lot of baggage, and even though he never kept anything from me and tryed to explain it all, I had a hard time understanding exactly how things happened. It would have been great to have a blog of his life leading up to the events to help me get my head around it all.

Comment by bec — November 23, 2006 @ 11:36 am

62. Love me, love my blog. Not negotiable. I’m optimistic that having that much of myself out there on the internet will increase the opportunities to form friendships based on beliefs and ideas in common, rather than appearances. Perhaps you’ll be surprised, and it will improve your dating experience, even if it complicates it at the same time. Nice post, petite.

Comment by Sophmom — November 24, 2006 @ 6:27 pm

63. the question of what are you doing here is a natural one for one anglophone to ask another i think. it represents an attempt to begin a conversation, to form a connection, even if a just a fleeting one. in this case the question was not returned. was this out of courtesy or complete lack of interest? was it because the rich and apparently famous don’t need to know about you–it’s simply not worth their well-paid time to consort with nothings. perhaps we might cut out the feigned humility stuff in the future.

Comment by thefriendofafriend — November 24, 2006 @ 7:19 pm

64. What makes you think that the question was not returned? This is edited footage, not a complete picture. I showed the portion I needed in order to illustrate my own awkwardness. Which you think is false. Clearly you know me better than I know my self, and I bow down in front of your superior knowledge.

Comment by petite — November 24, 2006 @ 8:17 pm

65. Of COURSE you are a writer, Petite, and a BRILLIANT one at that. I recommend Julia Cameron’s The Right to Write. A very nice book, and it will make you feel much better about your new situation.
    Great post. I can’t wait for your book to be out!

Comment by Lotus Flower — November 24, 2006 @ 11:26 pm

66. I agree with you. I feel that I would be at a disadvantage if I started dating a non-blogger and he was able to read about the past four years of my life. Too much information for a new relationship if he can’t reciprocate in kind. :)

Comment by Zandria — November 25, 2006 @ 12:34 am

67. I am sure the right man for you will turn up when you least expect him to.

Comment by Templar — November 26, 2006 @ 6:57 am

68. Yes you can grope my bottom.

Comment by adrian — November 26, 2006 @ 6:36 pm

69. I still struggle to tell people I’m a writer when they ask. And I’ve been one ‘officially’ for two years and ‘unofficially’ for seven years now. It doesn’t help that I’m rubbish at describing what I write.

I’m lucky though, in that I have a fallback option: I can just tell them I’m a software engineer and omit the other stuff altogether.

Comment by Clare — November 27, 2006 @ 3:14 pm