September 14, 2004

appeal for help

Filed under: misc — petiteanglaise @ 3:52 pm

My parents are stuck on the last question in the Nether Poppleton Gardener’s guild quiz. Help them win a wheelbarrow by finding a word to link the following:

BACK GLASS CAT

Example: WIRE links LESS FUSE MESH

Stumped, I am.

1. Back door

glass door

cat door

Ok, the last one is weak…but according to Google ther are 13,300 results for “cat door” as a phrase so maybe it’s the US equivalent of cat flap…

Comment by Dunk — September 23, 2004 @ 11:54 am

2. Scratch?

Comment by Clueless — September 23, 2004 @ 11:54 am

3. I can’t understand the question, so I guess that I wouldn’t be much good.

Comment by Watski — September 23, 2004 @ 11:54 am

4. I plumped for ‘scratch’ too.

Comment by backroads — September 23, 2004 @ 11:55 am

5. Has nobody got this yet? Its driving me mad.
    Is it ‘less’ ?

Actually that’s pretty rubbish. Forget I said that, unless I’m right.

Comment by Tim — September 23, 2004 @ 11:55 am

6. Don’t worry, I promise to put you all out of your misery when the almighty gardener’s guild quizmaster circulates the answers…

Comment by petite anglaise — September 23, 2004 @ 11:56 am

7. well folks, the quizmaster says the answer is ‘alley’.

Now back alley and alleycat I get, but what the f*** is an alleyglass/glassalley.. ?

Unless they mean as in this dodgy looking band?

But I’d like to think not.

I’m not letting them get away with this.

Letters of protest should be sent to:

The Upper and Nether Poppleton Gardener’s Guild
    That Shed near the school playing fields
    Upper Poppleton
    York
    England

Comment by petite anglaise — September 23, 2004 @ 11:56 am

8. An alley was old slang for a marble. Y’know as in’ hurry up, where are your alleys’ or, colloquially ‘depeche toi, ou est alley vous’. Impressed huh?

My Mum called them alleys when she was little.

Glad that’s cleared up.

Comment by backroads — September 23, 2004 @ 11:56 am

9. I would have said “house”. Glass house (as in, inhabitants thereof not throwing stones), house cat and, er, back house..? Oh well. P’raps not eh.

Comment by Suziboo — October 7, 2004 @ 2:19 pm