June 17, 2008

petite americaine

Filed under: book stuff — petiteanglaise @ 9:50 am

Today will see me running a few errands (too tedious to detail) and knuckling down to work on chapter 11 of book#2.

Meanwhile, Petite Anglaise will be busy leaning seductively against the Eiffel Tower in her birthday suit and killer heels in bookshops across the USA and Canada.

So far things are looking good. Petite got glowing advance reviews in Publishers Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist, and has been selected as recommended summer reading by Scoop (WWD), Self (June issue), the books editor of US Glamour and NPR (Nine First Books that Make a Lasting Impression).

My first US interview will air on this week’s edition of The Book Show and my guest post on the Window Seat has just gone live.

But if it was hard for me to get my head around being published in the UK back in March, having my life on sale in bookshops across the Atlantic is even more surreal. I’m wondering whether seeing photographic evidence of Petite “in the wild” Stateside might help me to comprehend that this really is happening. To this end, I’m willing to personally mail a signed galley to the first ten readers who upload a candid shot of the book gracing the shelves of a US or Canadian bookstore to my facebook page.

And, um, don’t forget to buy it while you’re there…

1. Catherine,

Je viens de dévorer ton livre, mon premier en anglais, moi qui m’en étais toujours crue incapable: bravo pour ça ! J’ai été particulièrement émue et je tenais à t’en remercier. Et d’autant plus touchée par ce que l’écriture représente aussi pour moi.
    Et puis, je n’ai hélas pas eu l’occasion de vous remercier pour le mariage: c’était une très belle soirée que je n’oublierai pas. Je vous souhaite beaucoup de joie et de douceur. Et à toi de pages blanches. Elodie.

Comment by Elodie Monlibert — June 17, 2008 @ 10:34 am

2. Ohmygosh, your book in America. I’d be so freaked out!

Comment by girlwithmask — June 17, 2008 @ 11:08 am

3. and way down here. In New Zealand, I saw it at my favourite bookshop. I was so proud! corny huh!

Comment by pixie — June 17, 2008 @ 11:55 am

4. That really is very exciting! Congrats. They’ll enjoy it just as much as us brits did!

Comment by L.C.T. — June 17, 2008 @ 12:09 pm

5. What happened to the honeymoon??!

Comment by Cath — June 17, 2008 @ 12:18 pm

6. A good friend of mine has a book in Canadian and American book shops and I make it a habit to find it, move it to eye level and place the cover facing out. I’ll watch out for Petite Anglaise, too!

Comment by Assertagirl — June 17, 2008 @ 12:40 pm

7. Sorry – I don’t know how to e-mail you directly but just wanted to let you know that when I tried to follow the “bookshops across the UK and Canada” link it took me to a log in page where you had to enter a user name and password. Presumably this isn’t what you were hoping to link to!

Comment by Helen — June 17, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

8. That’s so exciting! I don’t see any reason why you should have any less success across the Atlantic – you wrote a great book!

Comment by Marjolein — June 17, 2008 @ 1:34 pm

9. and across the ditch from New Zealand, its here in Australia too. Looking forward to finding my copy. Congrats.

Comment by Narelle — June 17, 2008 @ 1:38 pm

10. I already bought the UK version of your book b/c I didn’t want watered down spelling! I will take a look around my town though and send a photo if I come across anything.

PS: Thouroughly enjoyed the book and found many paralells between your life in France and mine (I lived in France for 8 years, just moved back to the states in 2007). Hope the next book is even better.

Comment by halcyon — June 17, 2008 @ 2:59 pm

11. This morning I received a copy of Petite Anglaise from a kind woman at Spiegel & Grau. Yep, I’m going to review it on my little blog.

I’m looking forward to reading the book, as I’m a longtime reader of Petite!

Comment by Alison — June 17, 2008 @ 3:01 pm

12. coucou petite:

I just called and reserved the copy here at the local Borders bookstore for pick up today. Ca tombe super bien car j’ ai fini “Paris to the Moon” dimanche matin. Bravo – even thought I had read every posting on your blog, I cannot wait to read the book. Felicitations pour votre mariage!

I recently broke my camera on holiday but I will be able to take a poor quality picture with my camera phone and will send to you.

FYI – the bookstore from which I am picking this up is located about two blocks east of the White House – in case you are curious to know.

bisous.

Comment by bijou — June 17, 2008 @ 3:05 pm

13. Félicitations

Comment by marie-hélène — June 17, 2008 @ 4:24 pm

14. I purchased your book today via a link on my local public radio station’s website (so they get a cut), and will listen to the Book Show interview later today. :-) I got excited yesterday when I heard the promo ad on the NPR station for the show with “Catherine Sanderson” — I know her! (well, okay, only through the wonders of the Internet).
    J

Comment by Janet Tryson — June 17, 2008 @ 5:00 pm

15. Petite, Barnes & Noble doesn’t have them in the stores yet. They do have them in the warehouses and are willing to get one to the store in 3-4 days. I guess I should have called in advance. I’ve just called Borders and they are holding my copy!

Comment by Tammi — June 17, 2008 @ 5:09 pm

16. Thanks for swinging by our blog, Petite. Your post is amazing! I’m guessing this is also where the Triplets of Belleville were supposed to live?

Also, a good Kirkus?! Now THAT’S something to celebrate. They tell it like it is. Congratulations!

Comment by The Window Seat — June 17, 2008 @ 5:21 pm

17. yey yey yey! Look forward to book number two :) good luck stateside tho sounds like its already going well! x

Comment by Emmie — June 17, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

18. I know, imagine doing the chat shows in the States – it’s surely only a matter of time before we see you jumping up and down on Oprah’s sofa!

Comment by Claire-a-belle — June 17, 2008 @ 5:44 pm

19. Of course I have your book Petite, having so enjoyed your blg. Just got to find time to sit down and read it!!
    Good luck in the US. I think they will like the combination of sophisticated France and ‘litle ole England’. Best of both in many ways!

Comment by scribble — June 17, 2008 @ 7:55 pm

20. I got an advance a couple of months ago and read it. Now I have to go into the archives and read what happened between 2006 and the marriage! And I wondered what happen to Frog.

Comment by Jacqui — June 17, 2008 @ 8:13 pm

21. I just ordered a copy from the local barnes and noble in prescott, arizona ($24.95, a bit steep).

have you considered a more anglicized tltle for subsequent u.s. editions? Petite Anglais could as well be a child’s fishing book in this part of the world.

i just happen to have a couple of possibilities that might resonate:

How I Sued my French Employer and Triumphed: a Gallic Employment Primer

(we love litigation over here)

or,

How I Turned a Blogging Addiction into a $5000 Monthly Income, All From the Comfort of My Own Home

(we love ‘get rich quick’ schemes)

anyway, the point is to get them in the door. then they can find out about the Frog, Tadpole and the Boy.

congrats

Comment by rob — June 17, 2008 @ 8:37 pm

22. I went downtown at lunch today and took this photo.

They only had TWO copies, the nerve! The web site said they have 4 so maybe that means the other’s were sold already.

Comment by Zoe — June 17, 2008 @ 11:08 pm

23. I rushed out this evening to take this photo at the Chapters in Ottawa, Canada. It’s not the FNAC on Avenue Niel but it will do… I already pre-ordered the book and it should arrive on Thursday.

My husband posted the photo to your Facebook fan site page using his Facebook account.

Enjoy!
    Laura

Comment by Laura — June 18, 2008 @ 12:08 am

24. I managed to buy not one, but two copies of the book from Borders. I bought two because I am giving away a copy of your book on my blog. Any U.S. reader who would like to win it can go leave a comment for the chance. I also obtained photos and put one on your facebook page. If you want more I’d gladly email them. Happy Day, Petite!

p.s. I’m already loving the book!

Comment by Tammi — June 18, 2008 @ 12:35 am

25. I’m waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. I pre-ordered it on Amazon. :)

Comment by Jessica — June 18, 2008 @ 4:50 am

26. I’ve been on vacation so I just ordered mine from Amazon (sorry, I work part-time for an animal welfare organization so I’m saving a few bucks ordering it online)…but I’ll take a picture if I run across any in the Seattle stores. :)

Congrats on your BIG day! The pictures (and you!) were beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Barb — June 18, 2008 @ 5:45 am

27. I will definitely be picking up a copy! Congratulations. :)

Comment by What Liz Said — June 18, 2008 @ 5:49 am

28. Waow, now America!! I remember when I discovered Petite Anglaise 3 years ago… Who would have thought you’d go all this way? Congratulations again!

Comment by Ayme — June 18, 2008 @ 9:06 am

29. You’re out and about in Australia too !

Comment by letigre — June 18, 2008 @ 11:56 am

30. Petite:

I picked up my copy at Borders in DC yesterday and took a photo with my camera phone only to realise that I cant send it anywhere.

I got through the first 40 pages last night and was pleasantly surprised that your English accent, humor, and words still come through. After reading the above comments, I cursed myself for not having ordered a copy from the U.K. – not at all wanting the watered down American version. However, a lot of British English is still used and what I did find translated were only references (e.g. Boise, Idaho) so that the American could understand references you made but they still kept in words like smarted, buggy et al.

Merci bcp!! Feliciations!

Comment by bijou — June 18, 2008 @ 1:14 pm

31. I thought you’d like to know that here in smallish Madison, WI I went to my library website to placea hold (sorry, too broke to buy it!) and there were already 6 holds on your book! Word has spread!

Comment by Chris — June 18, 2008 @ 2:06 pm

32. Congratulations! It is also rather surreal in that you’ve done it all back to front, i.e., people normally publish books and then have a fansite/website created. I think it’s even more of an achievment to do it your way, it’s good to be different and because of it you’re more real than other favourite writers.

My copy has been lifted, my daughter managed to nab my copy when she brought me home last weekend……I’m going over there in a couple of weeks and I’m going to FIND IT!

I second Cath’s question #5, what about the honeymoon?

xx

Comment by ookymooky — June 18, 2008 @ 2:42 pm

33. Hi Petite,
    I just uploaded my pictures of your book on display at the Border’s in Crestview Hills, Kentucky (outside of Cincinnati, Ohio). They had your book displayed in the transportation section for some unexplicable reason. An employee who seemed to be in a position of some importance (he was holding a clipboard!) was there when I took the pictures. I told him what your book was about, so I think it will be moved to its rightful position in new non-fiction! I always love reading your blog!
    Mary in Cincinnati (northern KY, actually)

Comment by Mary in Cincinnati — June 18, 2008 @ 4:42 pm

34. So, I’ve received 9 pictures, only one signed galley still up for grabs…

Comment by petite — June 18, 2008 @ 5:14 pm

35. @5 – Honeymoon? Ah, well we are taking that in the winter during school holidays while Tadpole stays with her grandparents.

Not as soon as we would have liked, but you can’t have everything…

Comment by petite — June 18, 2008 @ 5:16 pm

36. Dear Catherine,

My mother, who’s a librarian in the eastern United States, gave me an advance copy of the book, and I fell for your story and writing style. My husband and I went to Paris last fall for our 10th wedding anniversary, and I had fun mentally revisiting the amazing city through your book. I didn’t visit the blog until I finished the book so I wouldn’t spoil anything. I will be recommending “Petite” to friends. Best wishes for a smashing American debut! I look forward to your novel.

–Rita, suburban Chicago, USA

Comment by Rita in Chicago, USA — June 18, 2008 @ 8:43 pm

37. Aww, shucks… I don’t have mine at a bookstore I pre-ordered it :D

Comment by Jessica — June 18, 2008 @ 9:03 pm

38. My copy arrived today and I will be cruising the rues of Paris tonight, via your words.

Can’t wait. I even picked up a Bordeaux on the way home to help the mood!

Congratulations!

Comment by Bill — June 19, 2008 @ 12:20 am

39. I have my copy and I have to say it was an amazing read! Great job. Is there another one in the works?

Comment by Raquelle — June 19, 2008 @ 1:42 am

40. Bonjour petite,

I will see if I can find it at the Harvard book store close to me…
    I will be in Paris in July, can I have the book signed :-)

ciao

Comment by Eric — June 19, 2008 @ 1:56 am

41. I will go downtown in Boston this Saturday to get it…

bisous

Comment by Eric — June 19, 2008 @ 2:02 am

42. If anyone would like a copy signing in Paris, I’ll be doing a reading at Shakespeare and Company bookshop on the Left Bank on 28 July…

As for the US, if the book sells well enough, who knows, maybe I’ll make it over. Here’s hoping!

Comment by petite — June 19, 2008 @ 8:47 am

43. Signing at Shakespeare & Company!! Wowwwww!!!!

Comment by happyforyou — June 19, 2008 @ 9:14 am

44. Just a note to say that the interview is up.

It lasts about half an hour, and I’m very happy with it!

Comment by petite — June 19, 2008 @ 9:37 am

45. I received my copy from amazon yesterday. Thank goodness they retained “Mummy” instead of translating it to “Mommy”.

Comment by Sakoro — June 19, 2008 @ 11:54 am

46. Hey Petite,
    It was a surprise to see you on the Window Seat blog, I’ve been reading it (and you obviously!) for a while now and it was strange to see two blogging worlds collide!
    How did you get hooked up with them?
    I only ask because one of the Window Seat writers Holly Burns has a blog I read regularly too (www.nothingbutbonfires.com) and it would be so crazy if you’d both met up in cyberspace!

Comment by VickiinNice — June 19, 2008 @ 1:32 pm

47. Petite,
    I bought a copy of your book yesterday. I had to call three stores to find it. I think they probably all had the book, but hindsight tells me if I had attempted to rincain-ize the pronunciation of the title, I would have gotten it faster. So far, I adore the book.

Best regards,
    CL

Comment by ChezLait — June 19, 2008 @ 5:16 pm

48. Hi, Petite–
    I’m about halfway through your book and loving every moment! Can’t put it down. Cheers to you!
    -Nikki C
    Portland, Oregon

Comment by nikki c — June 19, 2008 @ 5:28 pm

49. I was just browsing my issue of SELF magazine and to my surprise a mention of your book was on page 29 (article – 15 minutes to your best SELF) Open a great book! Congratulations!

Comment by Norma — June 20, 2008 @ 1:02 am

50. Hi Petite

Just finished your book – it was on my book club’s list and (as we are great judges of books) is guaranteed to be a great seller in Oz. We’ll spread the word. I had no idea the world of bloggers was so “normal” until now!

Comment by Meg Brodie — June 20, 2008 @ 3:18 am

51. Don Mills Diva just did a fascinating review . . .

I’m intrigued and can’t wait to read.

Comment by LaskiGal — June 20, 2008 @ 5:25 am

52. Purchased the book Tuesday; Finished it Thursday evening. Two words for Petite: THANK YOU

Take the contents of Petite Anglaise, put it in a blender, and I was reading the last three years of my life:

8/2005 – Husband of nine years tells me he filed for divorce…I’m the fifth person to learn of the news. This was two weeks after our blonde-headed daughter (hair from me, not him) turned two. Which means it had been two+ years since any real intimacy.

10/2005 – Lose great job of 11 years due to company “re-org”

5/2006 – Buy home half the size as before, but all mine

Figuring out the single mommy routine. Dating is sparse or non-existent. Feeling different levels of depression on how my so-called planned life got here, and why I want to be anywhere but here!

3/2008 – I meet my Lover/Toby/Boy…where else but in Paris. The relationship is nothing I had ever had before, and everything I could only dream of. In a nutshell: awesome. Continue on via email and a few phone calls (living in the middle of the US and he in Paris…calls not cheap).

5/2008 – I go back two months later for what I can only describe as a long weekend in Paris where I truly belonged…no regrets but longing for more. I call him Lover/Toby/Boy because he has qualities of all three, but in my wishful thinking, I want the Boy to come out in the end. Talk about long-distance relationships. As I write I’m getting the feeling he is more like the Lover. (sigh)

Your book and blog are not only a form of guilty pleasure for me, but also a legitimate hope that through all of the crud, there is a sunny spot eventually…qui??

MERCI.

Comment by Juli — June 20, 2008 @ 5:45 am

53. Isn’t it Tadpole’s birthday this month?
    Many congratulations to her!! The only thing that beats being four is being five!! :) :)

Comment by happyforyou — June 20, 2008 @ 12:18 pm

54. your husband looks GOOFEY!

Comment by Trevor — June 20, 2008 @ 4:31 pm

55. Juli, I don’t want to hijack here, but I went through a divorce, housing downsize, etc. – with children. I had a long distance relationship (me in the U.S., he in South America) which realized a marriage proposal (in Paris of all places!) and a happier marriage than I could have ever imagined. Believe in fairy tales, for they do happen. The difficult part is learning all we have to learn along the way to “Happily ever after”.

Comment by Tammi — June 20, 2008 @ 4:50 pm

56. Congratulations Petite on entering the US market. Your book is doing the rounds of our family but is currently stuck on the French side. I don’t believe the French appreciate a foreigner remarking on aspects of French life. So I wonder if the French version of the book will really succeed in France.

Rob (#21) gives tongue in cheek title changes so that the French titled book might appeal more to US buyers, based on the lack of French language knowledge in the USA. Surely, given that just a few years ago the Americans were calling the French “cheese-eating surrender monkeys” and changing “French fries” to “freedom fries” on their menus, because the French refused to support the Iraq war, this may be another reason for not buying a French titled book. This assumes of course that they realise it is a French title.

Scribble (#19) refers to comparing “sophisticated France” with “little ole England”. Scribble has it completely the wrong way round. England for a long time has been more sophisticated than France in many ways (the best restaurant in the world is now in England, whereas French cuisine is going downhill). It is the French who have stuck with the old ways which are no longer sensible or acceptable. The French should be described now as quaint rather than sophisticated. Women’s clothes are still sophisticated in France, hence expensive – 255 Euros today in Brittany for a pair of pumps for my French wife! Conversely English men’s clothes (tweeds, brogues etc) are regarded as sophisticated by the French. The new French president is trying to drag the French into the 21 century but he has quite a job on his hands.

Comment by franglais tyke — June 20, 2008 @ 5:56 pm

57. Hello P

Just wanted to let you know that the hardcover of your book just arrived from Amazon today . So hopefully I will have time to read it soon. Although summer in Alaska isn’t the best time to be reading ;-))

Get that next book ready :)

==Alaska

Comment by ==Alaska — June 20, 2008 @ 10:30 pm

58. I wonder who #54 is ?? ;-)))))))))))))))))))

==Alaska

Comment by ==Alaska — June 20, 2008 @ 10:34 pm

59. what’s a galley?

Comment by kara — June 21, 2008 @ 5:07 am

60. Chapter 11 ?

Sounds a bit unappropriate as an introduction to the US, huu ? Tell to your former employers ;°))

Comment by Saluki — June 21, 2008 @ 8:42 am

61. Definition of galley.

Anyway, in this case they are review copies with the proper cover but in a glossy paperback format with a press blurb on the back as opposed to the definitive blurb on the hardcover version which obviously have inside cover flaps with writing/photo on too.

They went out in yesterday’s post, so if you were one of the lucky ones, keep an eye on your mailbox!

Comment by petite — June 21, 2008 @ 11:50 am

62. Petite,
    Have a great time in my native land. I am sure that you will be well received!

Comment by Lost in France — June 21, 2008 @ 4:20 pm

63. @56 Oh come, on! Spanish is more popular as a foreign language than French, but there are still plenty of us who took French lessons in high school. The cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys were a small vocal minority, who probably don’t read books anyway, except for the latest Rush Limbaugh title.

French culture is very much admired here and almost everyone dreams of visiting Paris at some point in their lives (well, once the dollar:euro exchange rate improves anyway.)

I am 3/4 of the way through the book and am enjoying it very much. It’s quick read but not much more three-dimensional than chick-lit. I wonder if American readers will sympathize with the main character more than the British amazon.co.uk reviewer since individualiam and pursuit of happiness are a common thread that runs through American culture. I wonder if Americans are less likely to condemn a women who breaks up with her child’s father because the relationship was not working out? We shall see…

Comment by Sakoro — June 21, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

64. Oops, I should have said “It’s quick read but the characters are much more three-dimensional than the typical chick-lit.”

Comment by Sakoro — June 21, 2008 @ 5:15 pm

65. bought the book at a Borders in Houston, TX. Wandered the travel section (where the instore computer told me it would be) for 15 minutes before deciding that perhaps we Texans are too philistine for Petite?

And there it was – in the very front of the store, in the new fiction section! I am half way through, and it is remarkable. It reads like I’m having a chat with a friend over coffee.

Congrats!

Comment by cellybelly — June 21, 2008 @ 9:06 pm

66. (55) – Tammi, thanks for your positive thinking. You and Petite are proof anything can happen. :)

In the meantime….Petite, when is Petite Anglaise Vol. 2 coming out? I want more!

Comment by Juli — June 21, 2008 @ 10:52 pm

67. Hi, I picked up your book in Toronto yesterday (Chapters on Bay Street) and am reading now (in between a few other books) and quite enjoying it. You’re about to attend a concert.
    I had never heard of your blog before and didn’t really realize what the book was about when I picked it up. It’s lovely though. So … I didn’t know that you wanted pictures but I’ll send one when I’m back downtown on Tuesday. It was in a featured display of new titles, quite prominent. LM

Comment by LynnMarie — June 22, 2008 @ 1:03 am

68. I made sure your book was stocked on the shelves of the bookstore I manage and is nestled in a premium space in my staff recommendations bay.

I loved the book – as I love the blog. Bravo!

Comment by mrs. bee — June 22, 2008 @ 2:30 am

69. Oohh, check you with your publishing speak. Were you gagging for someone to ask what galley meant? I think so.

Congrats on the wedding. Loved the dress.

Comment by Jamila — June 22, 2008 @ 3:12 am

70. Dear Mrs Catherine, well done! Success and happiness for you.
    Have you noticed? Trevor has reappeared, poor guy!

Comment by Ivette — June 22, 2008 @ 3:42 pm

71. Hi there,

You have been writing some great stuff on this blog over the past couple of years but where has it gone? It seems that now it has become a marketing tool or a publication diary. The real essence of your writing came out with your fascinating insights into being a foreign woman coping with all aspects of French life. The book was very readable and filled in a lot of gaps in the blog but its tone of brave narcissism and slightly cruel descriptions of the men in your life (however true),left me rather cold. If blog writing is a step towards becoming a writer of some sort then, is this the slow demise of the blog? If so, it’s OK to say so.

Comment by Eccles Cake — June 23, 2008 @ 9:07 am

72. Wow. The title of your post takes me back…

Josy, Josy-Ann
    Ouh, jolie Josy-Ann
    Petite Américaine
    Josy, Josy-Ann
    Ouh, jolie Josy-Ann
    Aux cheveux de laine

– by Gold

Catchy tune, if not all that flattering about your hairstyle.

Comment by Roads — June 24, 2008 @ 12:32 pm

73. Whatever happened to “Jim from Rennes”? Is he still playing cricket & renovating properties in Bretagne? I read the piece in the Sunday Times in February, and jolly interesting it was. Trust all well in your new life (which I have just caught up on today, by reading this….). Regards. BH (Angleterre)

Comment by Bill Harrigan — June 30, 2008 @ 2:37 pm

74. Hello! I wish you much success! But that’s only because I want to live vicariously through you… Just kidding. Love the blog- I’m definitely excited to read it.

If nobody has claimed the coveted galley, I’d love it sent to my snail mail.

Barnes & Noble, Lake Grove, New York

Comment by Ember — July 2, 2008 @ 6:51 am

75. Just to let you know you’ve arrived in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada. You’ve probably been here for ages, but I just saw you today.

You’re here at Chapters.

Comment by Dawn — July 3, 2008 @ 9:19 pm

76. I live in the U.S and I had never heard of petite anglaise. I work at a newspaper and my book review editor gave me the book to read. I am hooked! I am halfway through and just love it! I just found your blog and was so excited to read it!

Comment by Melanee — July 4, 2008 @ 4:23 am

77. Hi from Quebec, Canada

I just read about this book in our daily newspaper, The Montreal Gazette.

Comment by Alan Bamboo — July 12, 2008 @ 9:21 pm

78. Dear Petite,

Congratulations on your marriage and book. I’m a longtime blog reader (not right from the beginning but while you were still with Mr. Frog) but have never commented. I am now enjoying your book, but thought that I should let you know that at my local Borders in Silver Spring, Maryland (just a couple of miles from D.C.) it was buried in the travel section! I don’t know if your publisher or agent can do anything to rectify this, but thought that I’d let you know.

Comment by Kathleen — July 19, 2008 @ 10:58 pm

The WordPress Classic Theme. Blog at WordPress.com.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 80 other followers